Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Mass Media Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigreguy

Technical User
Feb 1, 2003
I have an IBM Netfinity 7000 M10 which is connected to an external MMD which has 10 9.1Gb hdds within it. It has been seperated into 2 channels. What I am wondering is if I partially change out some of the hdd's with 18Gb hdds will the OS recognize each seperate hdd as it states or will it default to the lowest sized hdd. If there is any further info you require please let me know.

Thanks,

Tony

If the 9gb drives are part of a raid array the only way to get the full space of the 18gb drives would be to delete the array and recreate it with the new drives.

Now, I have heard about people that replace one drive in the array, let it rebuild, then repeat the process until all drives in the array have been replace with the larger drives. Then they go into disk management and the extra space is suppose to show up there and they just extend the existing partition.

I personally have never done that or tested it so I can not say if it really works. But our resident RAID expert says it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back