Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM mainframe password changing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack10

Programmer
Feb 3, 2010
US
We have a DB2 database on our mainframe and I use Microsoft Access to query the tables comprising the database. Sometimes I use a pass-thru query which uses my own credentials to login. Up until recently we could get around the scheduled password change of every 90 days, but not anymore. Is there a way to set your password to not expire?

If your security admins have tightened the security you would need to talk with them. Trying to get around security rules is often grounds for termination. . .

The organization believes that changing passwords regularly is more important than your bit of inconvenience.

They would probably not be happpy to know that you have embedded your password where it can be read as text. . .

Otherwise they don't get their information. Mgmt is quick to skirt issues when THEY want something....isnt that right.

I deal with this every 60 days! It appears that password changes is synchronized with every system and database EXCEPT DB2! I and every one of my users that employ my DB2 application must deal with this.

BTW, it is NOT a particularly smart idea to circumvent with a stored PW. That is a HUGE NO NO!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

How else would you do a pass thru

The ODBC Driver dialog Open > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC) ....

Find your Driver in one or more of the DSN tabs and CONFIGURE the driver, with the CHANGED PASSWORD.

Otherwise the Password must be entered each time the pass thru is executed.

Skip,
[sub]

i have it stored in the control panel admin tools data sources.... but in the pass thru query dont you need it in the connect string .... the ODBC connect string.
ODBC;DSN=DB2PROD;UID=xxxxxx;PWD=yyyyyy;

using ADO objects, my connect string is defined...
Code:
    cnn.Open "Provider=MSDASQL;Persist Security Info=False;" & _
                "User ID=;" & _
                "Extended Properties=""DSN=Shadow Direct DB2P 32-bit;" & _
                "UID=;PORT=6800;HOST=mvsb1;SUBSYS=DB2P;CPFX=SHADOW;AT=YES;" & _
                "DP=%;AF=YES;MXBU=40960;AUST=NO;CNTM=120;"""
I believe I have a parameter set in the ODBC Configure dialog somewhere, to use the networkID, os User ID and UID are as above. NO PASSWORD parameter!!!

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back