Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM, HP-Compaq, Dell? Laptops - which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcse924

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
It's that time again for us when we decide on what new laptops to buy our Marketing guys. We usually stick with IBM because for the most part they seem to be the best built laptops fou our needs. Well designed, very good power, few headaches, built to last.

The downside is they can average out to be anywhere between $200-$800 more expensive than Dell or HP-Compaq with exact same faetures. You buy ten of these, and your looking at some substantial dollars!!

So I am asking you, my peers, your opinion on BUSINESS laptops. Please base your opinions on real-world use, like on airplanes, in hotels, home, mobility, etc. Please include good and bad experiences dealing with the associated companies.

Which do you prefer and why?
IBM, Dell, HP Compaq, Toshiba, Fujitsu, etc, etc.

Any feedback is much appreciated!!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

IBM thinkpads are i think great business laptops, small and extremely light but you pay for it. I personally have owned two HPs which I have to say I've been rather satisfied with. (ony bad, is the USB ports are poorly located by design near AC plug). Good deals for the moeny. You'll have to compare your needs of weight/performance. In terms of marketing, I think some features would be unnecessary, but you could lose certain aspects you aren't interesetd in paying for or could find alternate solutions for. Integrated stuff will cost you. For insntace adding firewire or USB ports, could get an external solution. Basically don't compromise on HD space, CPU (NO CELERON) can't / not easily /cheaply replaced or upgradable. RAM can be found cheaply online via deals. DELL only thing is you always have to deal w/ dell for accessories with this and that, while they have less proprietary stuff than their desktops/printers, still annoying, I prefer the luxury of being able to stop @ BestBuy if needed, particluarly on the road. or simply being able to borrow someone elses...

[yinyang] Tranpkp [pc2]

I purchase new Dell notebooks for all my users...and I use one myself (home, work, travel). Depending on the model, your notebook can be travel-friendly or not. I run a ton of utility programs and business apps (even a game and a DVD here or there) ...I have had no problems whatsoever and yes they are cheaper than IBM. I have purchased some refurbished IBMs for certain environments in our company...they are okay thus far.

This is a pretty broad topic...I am sure everyone has their opinions and preferences about these manufacturers. As for Dell, I will continue to purchase from them.

We are leaning towards IBM T41's. You are correct this is a broad topic. My purpose in posting mainly is that I don't have much experience with anything but IBM laptops, so I don't REALLY know how much better (or not) they are compared to the other major vendors. But I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it, right?

Thank you for the feedback!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back