Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM HD failure - no longer recognised in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Feb 22, 2004
DE
My one of my HDs (IBM Deskstar IC35L080AVVAß7-0, 80 GB) failed w/o any warning. I just got a "Unsafe removal of device" (under Win 2000) error message for both devices on that IDE connector (the HD and a CD-ROM). After reboot the CD-ROM shows up again, but the HD is still missing. It is not recognised by the BIOS (auto detection, HD type set to auto). The HD still spinns up and makes no unusual sounds, just the normal spinning sound.

I just found out, that this series of IBM HDs is infamous for sudden death / short life. Is there any way to access the data on the disk besides professional data recovery?

hmm..not sure if this'll help, but maybe try norton disk doctor? gee. that's such an old program..i'm sure norton's got something out for reviving dead HDs..at least long enough for you to grab most/some/a glance of what you need..
have you tried a different cable? how aobut changing from IDE2(?) to IDE1? change master/slave setting?

Quote:
I just found out, that this series of IBM HDs is infamous for sudden death / short life
Was infact the GXP60 and GXP75 ranges and not the 120 series you have.
This was apparently down to a third party supplier who produced the special glue??? that bonded the Cirrus Logic controller in place (sorry if I'm not totally accurate on this one, from memory) something like that, I believe there was a counter law suite filed against this third party??
Of course there was much speculation about the reliability of newer IBM products (mud sticks) but this problem was fixed.
Sorry that isn't going to help your particular failure but I don't like to see misinformation and presumptions about a product.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back