Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Hard drive firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1h121

Technical User
Apr 3, 2012
US
I have a couple of Seagate Barracuda 600GB drives, that are the exact model number for the IBM drives that I am replacing in MY DS3512 Storage array, however when I add the drives, they come up not compatible, and IBM is saying its cause I didn't buy IBM proprietary drives even though they are the same Seagate Model, is there any way I can make this work? Could I essentially flash the Hard drive with IBM firmware? Thank you.

You can try that, but you risk losing the drive if the firmware download doesn't take. IBM does that to you on purpose - same exact drive model/guts but they "lock you out" from using it in their server by it not having the IBM firmware that makes it compatible.

Best idea if you haven't opened up the drives yet is to return them and buy a compatible IBM drive. I just wouldn't fool with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back