Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM FASTT200HA - Replacing Cache Batteries 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2007
GB
IBM FASTT200HA - Replacing Cache Batteries

Spec: Fastt200HA, dual raid controllers. Two IBM xSeries 350s. W2k, MS Cluster, two resource groups one on each cluster node (one MS SQL).

Problem: Both controller cache batteries (19K1219) have failed.

Reading the IBM users guide it states that in a dual controller config the controller with the fault should be placed offline and the battery replaced. But, given both batteries have failed here's what I'm planning to do:

Plan: Stop all I/O, shutdown the Servers. Power down Fastt200 and disk enclosures. Replace the cache batteries. Power on the disk enclosures and power on the Fastt200.

Question: Have I missed anything? Or will my plan do the trick?

Thanks in advance.

Once the servers are shut down you should be able to do handstands on the array controllers. As long as power is off you can have your way with them...most times we don't have the luxury of a complete shutdown. Just be methodical (sounds like you already are) and careful, take your time and do them one at a time. Note the event in your changelog. [smile]

Tony

Users helping Users...

Update: Batteries replaced and are displayed as optimal in Storage Manager.

One thing to note. The battery connector doesn't just pull off the controller board. There is a tab on one edge of the controller board connector that has to be push outwards.

Also, the Storage Manager states the following "Wait approximately 12 to 15 minutes for the battery to recharge; then, select Recheck to rerun the Recovery Guru to ensure that the failure has been fixed.". Some 20 minutes later the failure still had not been cleared, but next morning it was :)

Thanks for your input Tony.

Glad to help, but you did all the research and work, I just basically gave you a little push and reassured you that all would be well. Thanks for the tip about the battery connector, it may come up in the future, and congratulations on a successful repair.

Tony

Users helping Users...

One more thing. Make sure you power up in reverse order. Make sure all the disks spun up before you bring controllers up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back