Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM eserver 346 RAID reconfig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCLiven

Technical User
Nov 21, 2007
US
Need to build a new 346 server for testing. I had to put 6 drives from a different server into this one and I now need to setup the RAID. What are the steps from here? Can I do this with the setup CD or do I need the ServeRaid CD? When I use the setup CD, when I advance to the setup NOS screen, it tells me (of course) that my c: partition is not created yet. I have not setup IBM's before, I didn't think it would be much different than the Dell's I'm used to, but it seems I can not get the system to recognize the drives. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I think you have to pick the right RAID controller in the setup BIOS---I battle this from time to time, as I load an OS on an X-series once every few months...they default to boot from the floppy...then I believe you can go into the RAID controller BIOS and RAID the drives from there.

Burt

Hi Toygal.
If you haven't completed this task by now can I give my 2 bob's worth.
Boot the ServeRaid CD. Upgrade the BIOS/Firmware and configure your Raid Sets.
Boot the ServerGuide CD which asks a lot of questions and from here continue on to install the OS.
Pretty straightforward; by using ServerGuide you at least get all the correct drivers installed upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back