Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Director - Find DAT file versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kooch

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
CA

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of an IBM Director solution that would be able to include what version of DAT files were installed on the PC? I'm using Director 5.10 and Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0i. I've come across a few PCs on the network that aren't updating automatically all the time and I'd like to be able to determine which ones are out of date.

I was thinking a custom entry to the software dictionary could do it, but that needs to have a specific file to look for which I don't believe DAT files leave behind.

Has anyone tried to use Director for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

I've been looking into this while waiting for a reply and I believe the only way to do this is to track the registry change that occurs after an update.

Is it possible to log specific registry changes in Director?

Thanks

You may be able to do it by setting up a resource monitor, and then creating a resource monitoring task. I'm not sure if resource monitors are still available in ver 5.10. I have used it to look for various different files and versions across machines, not sure whether resouce monitors will let you look at the registry. But you would need to create a resource model from a server or workstation with the actual file or setting you are looking for. Then a rescourc monitoring task could be created and you could then drag and drop it onto individual machines or groups. It will then scan and report back the results mind you the reporting interface is not the best what do you do.
Hope this helps

Solution:

When Mcafee downloads new DAT files it updates the catalog.z file in all users\application data. It's then easy enough to add catalog.z to the software library using a specific date when it was modified to see who is currently behind in their updates. Of course a full inventory has to be pulled to see, and this entry has to be updated weekly but it will work for my purposes.

Thanks for the response Curran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back