Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Director conflicts with other Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

jring

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2004
SE
Hello! I`ve installed a lot of Servers with IBM Director and sometimes I get in trouble. On som Servers I install the agent (minimum or maximum choices doesn`t matter), after reboot everything seems fine, but when I from the Console tell the Director Server to discover the agent, other services on the Agent machine goes down. It doesn`t matter if I choose automatic discovery or put the IP-adress and name for the Server manually. These happends on several Servers with different Services for different programs. I`ve tryed checking what ports that are used for the services, but I cant find a port with same number as for a service invalved in the problem. I´ve tryed different agent-versions, and it doesn`t matter if its WinNT-Server or Win2000-Server. Can I change ports that are used in IBM Director? Because i´ve installed several Servers and has problems with a few, I think I can not be alone in the world with this problem, others should had the same problem. What do you have to say about this? Regards

Jim

The only ports that IBM Director uses that are user-configurable are those used for web-based access (peer-to-peer management). By default, these are 411 and 423. The IBM Director to Agent communication uses predominantly port 14247 (14248 on Linux). What leads you to believe that this issue is related to port assignments? Are you running applications or services that require specific ports? Generally, the port in use would not bring down an application, it's probably something else. What Service Pack are you running on your OS? What specific applications fail during discovery? Do the same applications fail if the Agent is manually added to the IBM Director server database?

Hello! I`m not sure if ports are the problem, but why does the other service fail?
The Application that fails are in one Server an IBM application!
It has to do with thin clients that use this Server as the Boot-server.
NFSD-service, Portmapper-service and PCNFSD-service are the Services that fails. This mean that thin clients not can connect to the boot-server (Network Station Login Server).
The Server is WinNT4-Server SP6a, but i experience the same problem with a WIN2K-server SP4 and the application that goes down is a Timestamp-program.
The problem with the discovery is the same with automatic discovery and manually add.
When I installed the agent and reboot the Server every service starts up. Everything seems fine until I tryes to add the agent into the Director Server. In the same moment when the Director Server discovers the agent the other service will stop. After this I cant start the services together again even if I remove the Server in the IBM Director Console.

Wow! What a blast from the past. Network Station Manager hasn't been around in a long time (years)!!! First, decide what you want IBM Director to do for you, and install only the necessary components - if you don't use peer-to-peer management, don't install web services. Once you decide on what components of Director you want, install the current version (v4.12). The IBM Director server must be the same version or newer than the lastest Agent. You didn't indicate how many network adapters are installed in the Agent servers. If more than one, run TWGIPCCF.EXE and unselect TCPIP (All Adapters), then select only the interface that connects to the IBM Director server's network. After the initial reboot, configure the Director Support Program to start manually, then reboot again. Once the server has fully initialized (wait a few minutes), start the Director Support Program and discover (or manually add)the Agent. If it still kills the Port Mapper, there could be a problem with these services co-existing. As I indicated, they are from different generations of Systems Management software. During Network Station Manager's reign, Netfinity Manager was the Systems Management software from IBM. Let me know what happens, and I'll try to help.

The problem is, that I`ve installed IBM Director on more Servers with Network Station Manager in W2k and WinNT envirement without the problem.
The Server only have one networkcard.
The problem is with both 4.11-agent and 4.12 agent.
I`ve tryed both with as few choices and full install without sucess.
The problem is sometimes with other programs to. I think this is strange because I installed about 80 Servers and have the problem with two Servers. It should be someone experienced the same problem.

I will try the manual starts in a week,I will go on vacation (Skiing) for a week now.

Thank you for your help, I will respond to this thread as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back