Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Deskstar 123.5GB PCB replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmansfield

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
GB
Hi guys

Last week my PSU died and took out both my hard discs. One was a Maxtor 30GB, the other an IBM Deskstar 123.5GB (it also took out my mobo, Athlon 850, SB Plat, DVD, GFX card...).

Both drives were working perfectly before they died, no noises or anything. Now neither will spin up or are detected in the bios.

I desperately need to get the data back from the Deskstar drive (which was a backup of the other drive plus some other bits).

I've been reading about swapping the PCB with another Deskstar 123.5GB.

If I did this, how hard is it, and what are my chances of being able access the data again? Is this the best course of action?

Many thanks

Matt

Sometimes i have heard that this works but then there may be a more serious problem, sometimes it corrupts the OS. i would leave it to people like data recovery. Try they are usually cheap at recovering data and very good at it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back