Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM 346 will not restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

fzx5v0

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2003
GB
Hi

I have an ibm 346 that everytime you ask the operating system to restart the server goes down ok but will not come back up until you power it off and back on again

operating system windows 2000 server
I have updated the bios to ibm's latest version but this has made no difference

thanks for any pointers

Easyinkz Printer cartridges

Check your BIOS to see if it is set to boot from the Hard drive first as opposed to other devices

Your problem does sound BIOS related. The BMC is confused when the system powers off and recovers. It doesn't know what state the system is in. There was a critcal update by IBM on the BMC for the x346, 1.20 released in May. Make sure you have that loaded.
Also, I have seen the RSA card create problems for the BMC if you have one of those installed. It needs to be updated with the BIOS at the same time. Make sure the RSA card is not at fault. See if your system will recover from a power off restart with the RSA removed if you have one. Be aware removing it will cause you to correct BIOS changes.

Hi I have updated everything but still the same problem. i have noticed that when you restart the server from safemode it reboots ok. When you use msconfig and put it into diagnostic mode is still has the same problem so it must be a driver or some software.

I do not know where to go next to identify the problem

thanks

Easyinkz Printer cartridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back