Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i8042prt problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozispimp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
this is the message i keep getting on my computer.. i have a microsoft natural keyboard pro, and an intellimouse explorer (the new one).. i just installed 2k pro a few days and saw these problems from the get-go but it never caused any bad effects.. last time i rebooted.. the system hangs after the "welcome" type music is played through 2k pro. none of the desktop icons show up.. and it just stalls.. after a few seconds, it loads up fine.. no other problems.

this is the error message i get.. i have a i8042prt.sys driver in my winnt\system32 directory.. anyone know what could be causing this?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 3/2/2002
Time: 5:29:51 AM
User: N/A
Computer: YOLK2K2
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
i8042prt

Thats the PS/2 mouse driver. Since you have the intellimouse explorer and the Natural KB (which are both USB devices if i remember correctly) - im assuming you originally installed Win2K with a normal mouse...intellimouse explorer doesn't use the i8042 driver - so you should go into control panel - make sure your hardware isn't set to "ps/2 Port mouse", and disable the i8042 device...its basically scrolling for a PS/2 mouse - which you dont have.

Hope that does it for ya..

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back