Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i2050 using VPN doesn't work while making a call

Status
Not open for further replies.

4wireguy

Technical User
Jan 31, 2008
US
I am implementing (or trying too) i2050 over a VPN connection with the old ITG-P and an old version of i2050 soft phone. Testing without VPN works great (corporate WAN). But, when I VPN in from home(Contivity client)... on an outbound call from the i2050 my speech (can't be heard) is completely 'tore up' ... unintelligible 'cyclic' type sound. I hear the other end perfectly on the same call. Incoming calls work perfectly. I don't think it is a bandwidth issue (have tried it on different provider networks). The serving switch is a 61C running 3.0. The i2050 is old, but have tried the latest release, as well without luck. Using a Nortel USB headset, also. Ping delay is around 120ms, but about the same across corporate WAN links where I don't have a problem. I have tried raising the delay buffer up the ping delay and have tried various zone configs, all to no avail. I really don't know how to test, but am thinking it is the VPN client itself or the host client that is at fault. Can someone help an old man out? Thanks, 4wireguy

There are generally 2 things to look at in this situation:

1 - resource use on your pc at home.
2 - the upload bandwidth for your home internet connection.

If the pc hosting the 2050 is using a lot of resources, you will get garbled sound (usually on the home pc receive side). You can try to change the application priority to real-time in the task manager, but this may not be very helpful.

If you are maxing out your home upload bandwidth, then packets will be dropped, and the parties you are calling will not recieve a complete audio stream from you.

You can create a new zone and use BB for codec selection, then assign your softphone to that zone, and as long as the other zones are configured to use several codecs, the codec with the smallest bandwidth will be used when you place a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back