Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I2050 + QOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

efac

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2001
Is there any QOS that can be setup on a user's workstation? Have many users who work remotely using their home ISP Broadband connection and the I2050 connecting to the office via VPN. Obviously, if they do a lot of downloading and surfing, it can cause a few delays. Other than doing QOS on within the VPN tunnel (which they only us for VOIP), was wondering what options can be done at the workstation? I tried setting up a linksys router for a home user and giving port 5000 high priority but I didn't notice a difference. If I did a netstat on the user's set when they had the softphone running, I didn't see any connections or ports to the BCM.

Just wondering what other users or setups have been used with the I2050.

Port 5000 isn't where the payload traffic is - that's 28000-28500 UDP if I remember correctly.

It's fairly difficult to do QOS with the 2050 except by port matching ACL's. Since you're going over VPN, all the QOS stuff will do is try to get the voice packets in the tunnel ahead of the data since there really is no QOS on the Internet.

You could load Ethereal on the machine and run a quick capture with an active call running - that'll definitely show you your source/destination ports and protocols. I'm pretty sure that 28000-28500 is correct though.

What I was hoping for is if I can give a higher priority to anything that needs to run through the VPN tunnel vs the net. I will try Ethereal as a test to see. Even if I can give the VPN for IPSec a higher priority might be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back