Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCMuser

Technical User
Jun 1, 2005
US
One of my remote i2004 keep dropping connections and keep trying to reboot, at least 4 times a day. I have 3 more i2004 phones that have no such issues. The only difference is that the i2004 that keeps on dropping connection is using cable... all others are using DSL. Is there a compatiblity issues with i2004 and cablem modems? If so, does anyone know a workaround? Any solution that doesn't require the user to change to dsl service will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

we're currently not using VPN on all of our ip phones but had no issues whatsoever. But from reading from the posts, VPN is highly recommended. I will try this.

ive never connected a voip set to a bcm yet but i have a customer asking about it- is there much involved?

Phoneguy422,
With a little IT Knowledge such as Static IP and your existing clients IT network configuration in relation to firewalls and open server ports.... it is simple and the best thing since sliced bread. Ha!

I have the same issue as the original poster.
Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this or at least what is causing the issue?

My client is using a 2004 with Rogers over a VPN. It drops about the same amount of times per day.

Kevin

I have 4 remote locations, one running 3 phones and the others a single i2004. My BCM is on cable as are two of my remotes. The cable remotes work excellent and only rebuild the tunnel every 24 hours (what I've set it to). The other 2 are DSL. One of the DSL connections is very up and down (it is in a remote area where even the POTS line is unreliable) and the QoS can be very bad at times. The telco did some work on the line which has improved it somewhat. The other DSL one is much better and rebuilds its tullel every 24 hours as well.

I would do everything through VPN as it is much more secure and you can use it to share network resources, backup devices, etc.

I also had an issue with tunnels going up and down on all locations every 30mins - 4 hours at one time. It was because of the VPN tunnels I was using. I was building a tunnel for each phone (ex 10.10.3.10 (phone) => 10.10.1.10 (bcm), etc.) as soon as I changed to all IPs being accessible across the VPN (ex 10.10.3.0 => 10.10.1.0) the connection became a lot more reliable. Also make sure your VPN connections are nailed up on both ends.

I have simple question, what is the key seq for setting up the info on a Nortel i2004 phone?

I presume you are talking about setting up S1, DHCP, etc via the menu in the phone. To access this plug the phone in. When the words 'Nortel Networks' appear on the phone press the 4 softkeys (below the screen) from left to right (one at a time) quickly. This will take you into the setup menu.

I notice you'd already found your answer in the thread you started. Disregard my message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back