Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i2004 Phase 0 and BCM 3.x 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorstarExpert

Vendor
Jan 8, 2005
US
I have recently learned of the process for setting up a TFTP server on a PC connected to the LAN with the i2004 phone (or phones) and the BCM to
overcome the problem with old Phase 0 firmware that won't talk to the UFTP server on BCM 3.x machines. ITAS Tip 261 shows the procedure, but was written when BCM 2.5 or 3.0 was the "latest and greatest".

So here is my question:
Has anyone gotten the firmware upgrade to work on newer BCM's?

I am using BCM 3.6, and have followed the instructions to the letter, but
with no results. I even created the folder and text file on the BCM's C: drive as well, even though the UNISTIM (etc.) folder is now located on the f: drive.

OK, perhaps I was too brief in my first message.
Phase 0 i2004 (NTEX00BA) sets (firmware version 3002A63) do NOT support the UFTP file transfer protocol used in current BCM product. They only support the TFTP protocol, so they will not function with the BCM, because the ROM upgrade and data transfer cannot take place, due to the fact that the Phase 0 set and BCM might as well be speaking english and french, respectively.
It took quite some effort on my part to get the info from Nortel, but what they provided is not current, and I suspect there IS a workaround.

Here is what they tell you to do:

1 - Create a text file called TFTPSERVERADDRESS.TXT (that's right - all caps)
which contains a single line containing the IP address of the PC on which you are running the TFTP server.
(Freeware on the web.)

2 - Copy the file to "c:\program files\nortel networks\unistim proxy server"
on the BCM. (This same directory exists on the f: drive on the newer BCM's)

3 - Copy the files "i2004.rom" and "i2002.rom" to the directory on the PC which the TFTP server is using as it's root directory, from
"c:\program files\nortel networks\unistim proxy server" on the BCM.
(Remember the newer BCMs have this on the f: drive.)

4 - Be sure to configure the TFTP server software to both transmit and recieve.

5 - Make sure the TFTP server is running whenever you need to download firmware.

OK, so I have done all this. Still no reaction from the phone.

Has anyone gotten these "Phase 0" phones to work with BCM 3.5 or newer?
If so, how did you get it to work?

P.S. The phone is "new-old stock" and is not the only unit I have tried.

hi... i had same problem but different soloution... i had a BCM 2.5 F2 and i let the phones connect to that BCM to get the firmware-upgrade... after they could connect to that BCM 2.5 i could connect them to a BCM 3.7 and they did once again firmware-upgrade... after that everything works fine... im sorry i didnt used an different source than BCM....

so far,

subx

i guess ur not over here in germany... so im sorry that i cant give u a solution :O(

Has anyone had any luck with this? I am in the same situation - trying to get a phase 0 phone to work with 3.6 BCM200. I have followed the procedure above as well and have gotten no response. The phone shows up as an IP Device in BCMMonitor, but with no DN since it's not registered. But nothing ever happens! The phone goes from 'Locating Server' to blank. I think I could get the TFTP to work if I just had all the tricks. Does anyone have anything they can add?

So far I have:
1) put TFPTSERVERADDRESS.TXT into F:\Program Files\Nortel Networks\UNISTIM Terminal Proxy Server with my TFTP address
2) setup a working TFTP server
3) installed i2002.rom and i2004.rom into the root of tftp server

But no dice. Am I missing something? There appears to be a TFTP server address param for DHCP server on the BCM. Is the only way to get this to work to use DCHP from the BCM and setup that param?

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks,
Mike

I believe I may have a solution for you folks on these old phase IP phones. We had a customer recently that had purchased their own IP phones and none of them worked (old Phase) I have a TFTP applications and a .ROM upgrade tool that may help.

What it does is makes your laptop or PC emulate a BCM. you point your ip set to your pc's ip address and the IP set downloads the firmware update. You then reset the the ip phone to the BCM settings and then it will do another firmaware update.

We did over 40 IP sets this way. It took some time but worked like a champ for us. We are still using it on a regular basis.

Anyone interested send me an email and I will get the info you need. Please note you must follow the readme file instructions to a T.

kgrant@strategicmail.net

kgrant

kgrant has provided an easy-to-use solution for this problem.

He sent it to me, I tried it, and my Phase 0 set is now using the newest
firmware and working great with a BCM 3.6!

Both KGrant and NorstarExpert thanks for posting. In the several hours of searching that I did on this issue this was the only place anywhere that had any relavant information. It also worked great for me. Stars to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back