Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I would think this would be a simpl

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbromberg

Programmer
Jun 24, 2002
US
I would think this would be a simple enough problem, but I've asked it several times with no solution found. For some reason, on my new win2k server with iis installed, the web address that you type into your browser that receives the contents of the folder (in inetpub) is rjpserv4.domainname.com (where domainname is the name of our web domain). I want it to be The only place rjpserv4 was typed in in the installation was as my computer name. I do not yet have active directory installed (as it has been giving me trouble).

Actually, it's a little different than I said. Right now, with active directory not installed, I don't get anything with rjpserv4.domainname.com either. When I had active directory installed before, I could get rjpserv4.domainname.com, but I wanted it to be Plus, is there a way to do this without installing active directory? It really has been a pain to me, when I install it I lose access to the internal domain all the computers on our network log onto (but that's another story).

-dbromberg

You have to get your ISP or whoever hosts your domain name to create an A record in DNS for points to the IP address of your server. If you have active directory with DNS installed on the server, you also need to create an A record in DNS on your server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back