Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I was told to query my question her

Status
Not open for further replies.

rascal803

Technical User
Sep 24, 2007
US
I was told to query my question here instead of Application Deployment...although, if not stated...this in the end does very much deal will application/OS deployment. Ok here goes. I've been in IT Desktop Support for over 10 years and at this particular job for 4 years now. We only use Dell computers/laptops/servers. WinXP SP2, Win2K3 Server environment. We're a multi-million dollar company whose recently gone stingy. We have close to 400 users company-wide. Well, the four Network Admins here are flat out lazy and restrictive on resource access even to the IT HelpDesk Team. We currently have Altiris for imaging. Before Altiris, we used RIS for imaging...from a Win2000 Server (a dinosaur 5 y/o) box. I don't have rights to Admin either solution. I ONLY download images from Altiris. I UPLOAD and download images on RIS. Needless to say, I've grown overly accustomed to our RIS server because it offers better flexibility in 'this' environment and doesn't involve our Network Admins.
However, the newer NIC drivers of the latest and greatest PCs/Laptops of today obviously aren't installed on our 5 y/o RIS server, the Network Admins make excuses about updating the RIS NIC drivers. It's like pulling shark teeth to get them to do anything efficiently...and they're across the hall from our office! So as of late, I'm starting to have to rely on Altiris (Network Admins (uploading)) for imaging. Personally, looking beyond our inhouse troubles with Network Admins, the jury's still out on that solution (Altiris) overall. The download is never streamline. I create a base image and give it to one of the four Network Guys to upload. So just recently we have a new Director onboard who's getting that Network Team whipped into shape and has tasked ME to decide which is the best 'imaging' solution between Altiris, RIS, Ghost and ANYTHING ELSE on the market. I'm also gaining greater access to manage our current imaging solutions (almost Admin level rights!). Needless to say, this is foreign territory for me. Please help! I've used Ghost before but have found RIS to be just as straight forward. My question is that I'm looking for ideas on desktop imaging solutions. What does everyone reading this recommend or use more so than another and why? Thanks very much in advance for your response(s)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back