Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I was after some advice on what's t 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrano

Technical User
Jan 24, 2001
AU
I was after some advice on what's the best way of incorporating a call to a help file with a program I'm writing?
The reason I ask is because I can't assume that the help file will be in a specific location because depending on the location that the person chooses during the install, the file could actually be somewhere else on the hard drive.
I was thinking that maybe the best way was to write a key to the registry that held the path to the app's help file during the install and then check this before calling the help file to find out the path to the app help file. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanx in advance

You can't assume the help file will be in a specific location, but you SHOULD be able to assume the help file will be in the application path directory. Double check that when you're packaging with the PDW. In that case you can use App.Path to get the path the executable is running in:
-------------------
Dim HelpFileName as String

HelpFileName = App.Path & "\MyHelpFile.hlp"
-------------------

Hope that's what you're looking for!

-Mike Any man willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.

-Ben Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back