Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to upgrade to a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbeenie

Technical User
Jun 20, 2002
US
I know not to take someone elses opinon. But I do not know where to start. Well I want something p4 or athlon 2400+. Can someone give me some helpful tips on finding the right mother board for me. I do not want to spend alot of money. But right now my board is a 533. And it's really slow.

Thanks so much

To get the lowest price, go for an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ CPU or a model number up to 3200+ [all will be over 2GHz 'raw' speed]. The price difference over an Intel Pentium 4 can be enough to pay for the motherboard.

And you will probably need new memory for either board.

Also consider an AGP Video/display adapter of either 4X or 8X to fit the board. Older VGA cards probably won't work due to voltage differences.

You can get an idea of prices at

is another good place for low cost parts, and ususally offers free fed-ex saver sipping.

Best Regards,

Marlon

My personal credo:
Do well unto others, else you will, or at least should, not respect what you see in the mirror at the end of the day!

That must be "Jack Daniels" "sipping". [smile]

Jim

When it comes to mid-range performance, the Athlon easily beats out the P4 in terms of price. Using Blujacket's recommendation, you would need to get a P4 2.4GHz (800MHz FSB) to match the Athlon XP 2600+, but it would cost you almost $60 more on average - hence the "price of a motherboard".

However, as you move on up to the mid-to-high performance range, the lead that AMD has in price goes down steeply. This is because Intel fabrication methods and supplies heavily outdo AMD, thus they are able to provide the latest technology in larger numbers of CPU's per wafer (reducing overall price).

A perfect example is the jump in price when going from the Athlon XP 3000+ ($180) to the Athlon XP 3200+ ($299). A 2.8GHz P4 outdoes the Athlon XP 3000+ in many real-world tests and costs only $18 more.
(prices taken from
You'll see a world of difference upgrading from 533MHz, regardless of what you decide to go with.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back