Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to set up a simple meeting b

Status
Not open for further replies.

pankajunk

Technical User
May 12, 2021
IN
I want to set up a simple meeting booking application in Access.

- There are multiple people who can be booked
- The slots have a defined duration of 30 mins
- Each person has a schedule (days of week and times of day)
- A person once booked for a slot can not be booked again

I am totally out of ideas of how to do this apart from creating a massive table with all the "available" slots. Any ideas?

Pankaj
Product Manager
HyperOffice

Is this for one meeting room? Or multiple rooms?
For each room, do the meetings start at midnight and can run for 24 hours in 30 minutes increments?
Are there any breaks between the meetings? (Lunch, dinner, sleep, sanity break, etc.)

I am sure others will have a whole bunch other questions even before you start...

"how to do this" - start by gathering ALL requirements.

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

You need to build the available schedule somehow which it seems you can do.

From a pragmatic point of view I would do just as you suggest build a table / schedule based on available slots.

Anything else is just going to be a lot of extra work to achieve the same result so directionally you are headed in the right direction.

If you have multiple booking agents for each person who can be booked, you need to decide how to resolve booking conflicts especially around first available. But if only I book myself, it becomes an easier exercise.

But as Andy said you want all the requirements up front for clarity. Things like meeting rooms require more tables... preventing overlaps etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back