Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to move some applications to a new hard drive without reinstalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickeybj

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2010
US
Hello,

I plan to install a new hard drive in my laptop. Over the years, I have purchased a number of applications online. I don't have CDs or DVDs for these applications, and I don't want to lose them. If possible, I would like to transfer these programs to the new drive. I don't have the KEYs for some of these apps either, and I'm sure that would be problem when I try to run setup. I have Vista now but, when I add the new drive, I plan on installing Windows 7. What would be the best approach to this problem?

Thanks,
RBJ

You could clone the drive and do an upgrade to 7 after the close is complete. Wont give you the benefits of a fresh install and I know a lot of people have issues with Upgrades.

You could also run Belarc Advisor and retrieve the keys, then go online and see if there are any versions of the applications you have and be able to reinstall them with the found key on a fresh install of W7.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Yeah, you're kind of hosed if you can't identify some of your keys, but there are programs that will identify many key codes for you. You really need to take better care of your software licensing. You won't be able to upgrade forever, I'm thinking.

I would clone it over as well and probably with something that comes free with the new hard drive or as a download like:
Acronis True Image Western Digital Edition or Seagate DiscWizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back