Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to install Second HardDrive.....help me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

qb828

Programmer
Sep 27, 2000
US
hello!
how are you?
i have a dell desktop computer.
i want to install linux os along with my windows (&DOS) and my computer has only 10GB.
i am not a computer guy.
so far what i heard through this forums, parittioning hardDrive and installing DOS & linux on same hardDirve is very difficult, not so good idea, troublesome. and not enough harddrive space (my case)....
can i install maybe another 10 GB, second hardDrive to my DELL computer?
1) approximately how much does it cost to install it?
2) where can i take my computer?(Does Dell provide this kind of service?)
3) is it pretty safe in doing so?

i mostly do programming on my computer. i don't want any problems like crashing or deleting..
can you help me with my problem?
it will greatly help..
thanks millions

Q

I dont think Dell will do this. And if you have a Computer Shop do it, it will void the Dell Warranty. BUT if you want a second Hard drive, Take the computer to your local PC shop and find out how much a new drive is and how much it would cost to have it installed. Most will be glad to do it. Though they may have your PC for up to a week. Especially if they have a large backlog of customer system to fix. Right now the cost for a 20 gig hard drive is about 100-120$. As for how much they charge to install it, possible $60 an hour for about 1 hour of work. Just ask them.

Hello : I just wanted to offer a possible solution to the users who would like to be able to operate 2 Hard Drives with the same or different operating systems on them but have been unsucessful. I had a new product installed into my computer that gives me switchable control over which hard drive the computer boots up on during startup. It's great ! The name of this product is Daves Bootmaster and the web address is if anyone is interested. I have kids that are always installing games and taking up hard drive space so now they have their own drive and I have mine ! I hope this helps you as much as it did for me .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back