Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to install linux with windows xp which option is select

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpn2012

Instructor
Jan 8, 2012
IF i want to install Linux fedora(13) with windows XP first XP is found
but i want to install Linux second which option i select (custom layout or what)and how to divide space between two operating systems
thanks

The Fedora project documentation has a lot of information on how to partition your disk and dual boot Linux and XP:
Typically there will both be an automatic and a manual (custom) partition. Unlike Windows, there is no one right way, which is why I am hesitant to say "select this option". You need to take the time to understand what the options do, or you will likely wind up with a brick for a system.

Typically Linux will require at least one dedicated partition (typically formatted as EXT type) and a small partition for swap space. The reason there is no one right answer is that more advanced users will want separate partitions for their home directories, and possibly even things like /tmp and /var. The reasons you do this involve advanced server applications and usually aren't beneficial to a single user.

Or take the easy route and install Oracle VirtualBox on your windows PC and then build a virtual Machine (of Linux) and that way you can run both in parallel ;)

Laurie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back