Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to browse my network over a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicrussell

Programmer
Nov 17, 2002
GB
I connect to a Win2k network from my XP PC over a broadband VPN link. I log into my account (user and password) before a link is made. I then connect via the VPN. My Outlook XP workd so I'm on the network as far as Exchange Server is concerned. I can ping machines on the network via name resolution so DNS is working. I can map drives. However, I cannot browse the network. Any ideas what to check.

Regards,

Vic Russell

Make sure File and Print Sharing is installed... It doesn't have to be active, but it should be installed... debonairOne

"I look in the mirror and what do I see..."
dboneanime.gif

Thanks for that. I have three places to choose from in "File and Print Sharing" on my XP client. My network connection to the cable modem, my broadband connection to the ISP and the VPN intself. The latter two already have "File and Print Sharing" installed and activated. The network connection has them installed but not activated. Still I have the same problem. Anything else to try? Vic Russell
MicroSec Ltd

Oh... sorry, I should have asked before... are you looking to browse the entire network via Network Neighborhood? If so, you may have to make sure the workgroups are the same, since you didn't mention a DC (domain controller)? What network protocols are installed other than TCP/IP? I believe XP uses Netbios over TCP/IP by default... debonairOne

"I look in the mirror and what do I see..."
dboneanime.gif

Hello!
Do you mean once you connected using PPTP or L2TP, authenticated ok, but cannot browse?
If you cannot browse try this:
In your VPN connection (Windows XP):
Click the Networking TAB
Right click the Internet Protocol TCP/IP
Right click the properties
Click the Advanced
Uncheck the use default gateway on remote.

Hope this could help!!!

This is and old post but maybe this help for others
I'm presently working on this...
It seems that a VPN behind a NAT don't allow you to browse the network with NETBIOS.
You have to work with a WINS server to allow the client to see Netbios Name on the local network.

MontrealSoft.com

I am sort of having the same problem, but I want to access my website ( From inside ) as if I were on the outside.
sound confusing?
Or, put differently, as if I was my client trying to get in.
I know I could probably have a dial up connection to test internally, but is there a website where you could go and ping your IP as if you were on the outside?

Is this resolved yet. I have just installed WINS on my server and I still cannot browse. Is there some sort of special configuration of the WINS I need to do?

BTW, WINS can see my connections.

Thanks,

iTrane

I'm not sure if this helps. My experience with VPN shows that the tunnel created must be given access to the network thru Security Association(SA). The IP Address assigned to you may not be able to access the rest of the network.

I have ran into all of these issues and the key areas to look at are the correct setting up of WINS and running internal DNS especially if you are a Microsoft shop. As far as getting a browse list, after you have the systems mentioned above you need a master browser for each network subnet and especially you need a fixed master browser on your base network that you attach via the VPN. Domain controllers do this so you will need at least one the base subnet.

FYI I had all the problems above and them some I resolved them all (the un-checking the remote gateway helped me ) however if I connect from the remote computer to the server I can browse and the drives and the machine appear in my explorer,

HOWEVER from the server connecting back to the remote computer (the remote computer in this case was the server) I could never find the remote computer from explorer BUT if I searched for a computer using the search button there is was and I can access the drives ??

So my recommendation is if you can not see it under explorer try the “Search for computer”

Ps: I am ruining XP pro a both ends

Hi all,
We've had problems like this before. We resolved them by creating an LMHOSTS file entry...

In Windows9x/Me

Create in the "C:\Windows" folder...

In WindowsNT/W2k/XP

Create in the &quot;C:\<windows folder>\System32\Drivers\Etc

Create or edit the LMHOSTS file in the above folder/s

An entry in the folder will need to be in the following format, this is just an example:-

123.123.123.123 server #PRE #DOM:domain

Note: #PRE and #DOM: are in upper-case, with server name and domain name it's best to keep in lower-case.

Re-boot the machine in question and then try again!

Regards
Zektor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back