Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to automate Append, update flag and/or ignore data in table with an update (SSIS? or VBA?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

03Explorer

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
US
I have an Access database that is being used for logic and administrative. The Data is stored in SQL Server. I am not sure if I am asking in the right place. (VBA or SSIS)

My objective is I have a (SQL) table with three fields (aID-autoID, Name-text, Active-Yn)

Business created (and will do somewhat often/annually) a new table, aside from the original (Typically built independently of original table content).

1. I need history to stay in the original table.
2. importing New [name] gets appended with new [aID] and [Active] set to Y
3. Old [name] have [Active] set to Y
4. after append, if new importing table does NOT contain an old [name] then [Active] set to N

Thinking this is to be either SSIS or VBA coding...
first question: Am I asking in the best place to make the import happen with the extra logic? (VBA) or SSIS
second question: I am looking for insight on how to make this logic happen. My mind is spinning with how to make this happen.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back