Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want my home network to be acsessed throught the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW252

Programmer
May 21, 2001
US
I have a home network and i want to be able to leave my computer at home on and conect to my router through the web from school and conect to my computer.

I need to know how to make my computer act as a server and how to acsess it from school, the school will not let me type in IP address and just connect strait to them, so i need it to be web address to connect to. If that is not possible just tell me how i can have a IP to connect to and i will work somthing else out.

Thanks,

-Matt

Most likely you are now getting any answers because this is not the right forum for your question. Anyway...
You have two ways:
1. use netmeeting. logon to a server you choose at then from school just go to that server and connect to it. make sure you enable desktop sharing. this is what allows you to remotely controll your desktop.
2. the better way is to use win 2k advanced server and use its terminal services feature. that allows you to run another win2k session on the same computer. in essence allowing two users to run win2k indepentently on the same computer/server. this is the way i use to connect to my server remotely. you'll have to install a client on the school machine. if that's not possible then you can look into getting web based clients, such as citrix.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back