Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I use a 56K modem to connect to my

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFOJ

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
I use a 56K modem to connect to my ISP, usually connect at around 44K. For quite some time now, my connectivity with the provider will stall and depending on what I am doing (downloading a file, browsing to another website, etc.) my bytes received will slow down to a crawl. I've tried disconnecting from the ISP, then reconnecting (hoping it was a particular modem on the ISP side that my modem isn't handshaking well with), I've tried rebooting my PC, powering it off, tried another modem (both internal and external), but with mixed results. Sometimes starting up a different browser will get things speeded up again, but it doesn't appear to be browser related (I use Netscape & IE). This problem started prior to my moving from town and continues now that I live out in the country.

I don't know if other users of this ISP is having similar problems or not, so I don't know if it's my machine or the provider. Anyone have an idea what may be causing this?

if installing the latest drivers for your modem doesn't help, i would try lowering some settings (max speed, fifo buffers ect.) for that connection and/or adding a modem string. its all done differently from different versions of windows. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Wow, I thought I was loosing my mind when I ran into this with my PC!
But I just flashed my bios and enabled the bus-mastering for the modem, too. Since, I've gotten it to work.
My point being, what has changed configuration-wise since you've moved? And are there any other devices attached to the phone line (I had a phone that would cause static on the line wherever it was plugged in... and NOT in use!).

"The reward of patience is patience"
-St. Augustine

I had this problem prior to moving. It's a dedicated phone line coming right off the outside box, about 15' in length. I've tried different external modems and also have this problem with an internal modem. I've about to take delivery of a new PC, now I may find out if it's a noisey line or my ISP.

even though you were haveing the same problem before you moved, it may be a coincidence. if you have tried other modems and updated drivers, it would most definately be your phone lines. you said you have even tried external modems ruleing out any motherboard conflictions. i doubt your isp has anything to do with the bad connection being that you have probably tried it at all times of the day to no avail. if you are still haveing problems i would try hyperterminal and check line noise. let us know if you need help doing so. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

If you're only 15 feet from your box, get a long telephone cord and plug it directly into the modular jack inside the box. BEFORE you do this, unhook (cut or unscrew the inside wiring) from the posts. It is possible for the inside wiring (if causing the problem) to feed back into the terminal and wreak havoc even if the RJ11 in the box is disconnected.
I'll iterate, IT IS IMPORTANT to disconnect the inside wiring before plugging into the modular jack outside.
Also check the modular jack and plug to make sure there's not grit or dirt on it... I had that problem last year at one place I lived.. some of the conductor sealant they put on it leaked into the jack and disrupted connectivety ever so slightly. But it was enough :(

"The reward of patience is patience"
-St. Augustine

Update. I've installed my new PC, don't have any problems with stalling, so the problem must be with the older PC. I'm going to use the Restore CD on it and start over. Then I'll find out if there's a hardware problem. Thanks for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back