Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I use a 56K modem to connect to my

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFOJ

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
I use a 56K modem to connect to my ISP, usually connect at around 44K. For quite some time now, my connectivity with the provider will stall and depending on what I am doing (downloading a file, browsing to another website, etc.) my bytes received will slow down to a crawl. I've tried disconnecting from the ISP, then reconnecting (hoping it was a particular modem on the ISP side that my modem isn't handshaking well with), I've tried rebooting my PC, powering it off, tried another modem (both internal and external), but with mixed results. Sometimes starting up a different browser will get things speeded up again, but it doesn't appear to be browser related (I use Netscape & IE).

I don't know if other users of this ISP is having similar problems or not, so I don't know if it's my machine or the provider. Anyone have an idea what may be causing this?

A lot of things can affect your throughput and download/upload speed. It could be a problem with your ISP's server or back bone. It could be a noisey telephone line. Try unplugging everything in the house from the telephone line except the computer. Sometimes telephones or answering machines can cause the line to be noisey. You can do a Google search on this problem and find many more suggestions as to what it might be. I had to switch to cable internet because the local telephone company wouldn't (or Couldn't) fix their bad telphone cables to the central office. I also could connect at 44K, but the throughput was awfull and just kept getting worse. You might post this problem in the modem forum and get more help, also.forum570 Jim

Please come back and let us know if your
problem is fixed and what fixed it!! [thumbsup2]

Somehow I overlooked that there was a modem forum, but I have now posted my problem there. There is of course a good chance I have a noisy phone line, I'll try the suggestion of unplugging other phones in the house. Thanks for your suggestions.

You might also try adding a low pass filter to your modem. It connects between the wall and the modem and cuts down on noise. I've used them to resolve several problem lines for customers.
Available at Radio Shack for about $10.00. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

It starts out fast, and then slows down? Could be 'burst rating', some providers allow for a high transfer rate for the first 20 seconds and then throttle the rate back down. This allows web users to get their pages fast, but oppresses the masses of people who want to download drivers and other software that takes much longer to download, sometimes 10-30 minutes. Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

having worked for an ISP before, if it's line noise that is causing your problem, i know of something that might help...in your advanced modem properties try putting this string in s10=50. it's a modem string that is supossed to help with line noise.

I'll try the s10=50 suggestion and if that doesn't work I'll buy a low-pass filter. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been thinking about going with a cable modem but am concerned about security issues. For those that use cable modems, do you use a firewall or does the ISP provide security features that will keep your neighbors from accessing your PC?

You can respond to bfoj2005@yahoo.com if you'd like.

Any "always on" connection needs security.
Either a software or hardware firewall in place.
I have been on cable for years, and used to run software, until I got a router with a built in firewall and NAT.
Never had a problem.
There are 3 or 4 good, free, software firewalls around that work as advertised.
Don't be paranoid about snoops. Any serious hacker is looking for corporate LAN's to get into, something worth money, or something worth destroying. Your little home system isn't worth the bother.
The ISP won't provide any type of security, other than maybe against a DDOS attack, which would bog them down as well, not just you. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

My phone line ran from one end of the house to the main jack at the other. Then my modem cable ran back. Put a splitter where the line enters the house & ran a line to my computer.

End of noise problem.

nspatch,

All S10=50 did was result in 629 errors when attempting to connect to my ISP, until I removed that string.

lbpsfl,

I have a dedicated phone line straight off the outside jack, about 15' in length, so I don't think this is my problem.

edfair,

Haven't brought that low pass filter yet, but will shortly.

anfps26,

As I mentioned, I have a dedicated line, no other devices on this line. Posted my problem on the modem forum, but so far no responses.

I do appreciate the input from the rest of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back