Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I thought NT 4.0 was limited to 2 gig on the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

samaher

Vendor
Jan 4, 1999
US
I thought NT 4.0 was limited to 2 gig on the first.<br>
Also, Is the second partitionlimited to 8 Gig?<br>
Also, can a 17 Gig HD be divided into two partitionf of say a 3 Gig and a 13 gig, for a total of 17 gig??<br>
Thanks<br>

The only time I have noticed any kind of limit is during an initial install. The 16bit version of the install, run from a prompt (not Winnt32), can on some occaisions limit the first created NTFS partition to 2 gigs. However, once NT is installed that partition can be expanded to whatever size you want. So, yes, but it would be a 3gig first partition and a 14gig second partition. I don't know of any size limit for NTFS volumes however Microsft sugguests that anything ove 4 exebytes becomes "inefficient".

Thanks for the info, one more, what is a exebyte?<br>
Thanks Again,<br>
Steve

Exabyte (1 000 000 000 000 000 000 bytes)<br>
5 Exabytes: All words ever spoken by human beings. <br>
<br>

Microsoft has a technet article about installing to a new system. If there are more than 1 unpartitioned drives in a system that are &gt;2GB each the install program will only let you create a 1GB partition. <br>
<br>
Work around: <br>
Boot a DOS disk with Fdisk on it<br>
Create a partition<br>
Reboot NT setup disks<br>
All should be fine from there.<br>
<br>
<br>
You have no idea how many hours I spent on this!!!

I'm with you, about the time spent. Do you have the MS Article number for that?

I don't have the article, but know that there is a "Q" # out there.

OK, i'll look for it and post it when I find it.. Thanks!

When you first setup NT using the NTFS partition format you are limited to 4G for the system partition. One way that I have found to get around this is by using Ghost to clone the machine. When you load the disk image it lets you change the partition size and you can increase it to whatever the drive will handle.

I always hated that problem also, so I boot OS2 and use it's fdisk and can partition almost anything. I have made 36GB partitions (on a raid drive) before.

As you are limited to a 4Gb partition on the install (due to DOS partition limitations caused before NTFS gets up and running) I install to whatever partition size I feel like and resize it later with PowerQuests Partition Magic. Then again you might want a small system partition to seperate you OS and apps/data.

Here are some articles that may help.<br>
<br>
Q119497<br>
Q114841<br>
Q138364<br>
<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back