Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I think Time Warner is Full Of It.... Tell me if I am right (Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

o2manyfish

Technical User
Dec 4, 2001
US
Hi Guys,

I have a pretty good understanding of basic networking principals. But I definitely am not expert or advanced,

I'm having issues with my internet connection and I think Time Warner is feeding me a line of crap to avoid fixing the issue.

I have Time Warner Business Class service at my house with 5 static IP's and 20x2 service. I have had the service for about 8 years and it's been reliable.

In March I started having real issues with internet speed. My test for checking my speed is I first ping the google DNS servers and then run speedtest. When things are happy my ping to Google 8.8,8,8 is around 20ms.

When I notice my network is slow, or dead. My Google Ping times are 800 to 1500. And I can't get to speedtest, or if I can get to speedtest, the test never runs.

The first time I noticed it I called Time Warner. They ran a test and told me the issue was outside my house and they would send someone to fix it.

The problem comes and goes.

Two days later - High ping times. Call Time Warner. They test the lines and say it's my modem.

To save some story time here this is the short version
1) Time Warner says issue outside the house - Fix Something
2) Time Warner says modem - Come out replace all wiring on house, and replace modem
3) Time warner says bad modem. - Comes out and changes modem. While tech is installing new modem - service issues, time warner says it's an issue with the aerial line
4) Time Warner says repaired aerial line - Problem Exists
5) Tech comes out - Verifies that service is an issue -Replaces modem. New (3rd New Modem) is slow out of the box. Tech says that the modem may take a couple of days to configure itself to build up speed. I called BS on him there and then and said call a supervisor and get someone else to verify that story. He refused and said I had to wait 48 hours for the modem to 'warm up'

While dealing with this guy I had taken apart my network and only had one laptop connected to the modem. All of a sudden the speed drops. I notice that Dropbox is synching some large MPEG files. I shut off Dropbox and internet speeds are good. I turn on dropbox, it starts synching and while 1 laptop is synching the rest of the network goes goes.

I call Time Warner service with this discovery. The agent this time has me run a Tracert, and we find there is an strange IP Address between my gateway IP and the next HOP which is part of the Roadrunner backbone. This unlabelled IP is where everything slows down.

Time warner sends out another Tech. He is on site for 6.5 hours. He replaces the aerial line to the house, the tap on the house and the tap on the tree. But he and his supervisor and level 3 support don't know what is going on.

The tech says he has to escalate it, but there is nothing beyond level 3 and he doesn't know what to do.

I keep pestering and pestering Time Warner. They finally tell me that I am using 85% of my bandwidth and that's why my service isn't working.

This past week they said because I am using so much of my bandwidth they will upgrade it. So they bumped me to 50x5.

My ping times to Google DNS are still the same.

Sure enough the first time one of my laptops starts synching with Dropbox. The ping times go up. Speedtest is almost unreachable. And the other devices on the network have no network access.

My question is, Is it reasonable for one device accessing one website to consume all the bandwidth to the point that other computers can't connect.

And this week after the service upgrade, Dropbox was downloading 3GB of 118 photos. It was only downloading. But while it was downloading the Speedtest results were 5mb download and .6mb upload.

If I am only downloading why is the upload speed compromised?

I watch Time Warner's commercials runs 3x an hour saying 30 people can stream movies at once. But I can only synch one computer at a time.

Is Time Warner right, am I just using too much bandwidth?

It seems strange to me that everyone in the world using Dropbox shuts down the network they are on when one person synchs a large file.

How much of a fight should I make with Time Warner.

My Firewall is a Zyxell USG50.

I appreciate anyone who read this far taking the time to read about my issues. And Thank you in advance for any help or knowledge you can share.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back