Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I think my machine is a spam bot! What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heintze

Programmer
Nov 19, 2005
US
I'm getting delivery status notifications coming back to me in my email indicating that delivery to certain recipients I have never heard of have failed. It only seems to happen when I leave my machine on over night.

How can I confirm/disconfirm this suspicion? What should I do?

Thanks,
Siegfrie

It also be someone spoofing you email address.

As a starting point I would take the network lead out of your machine and do I full AV, Spyware and Adware scan and remove anything it finds.

I normally use Avira, Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware.

Gavin Moorhouse

We go through this about once a year. Some spammer sends out his load with our domain spoofed as the sender, as a result we get hundreds of nondeliverable kickbacks. it generally lasts a week or 2 then the spammer seems to move on to spoof a different domain. We filter out most of the nondeliverables with spam filters but a small number of the always seem to get through. This isnt to say you dont have a more serious problem but you may not also.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back