Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I think I have a complicated issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGeek21

Technical User
Dec 12, 2007
US
I think I have a complicated issue here! UGH!!!

Trying to track student changes through the system. Specifically when they change grade/location. Below is some sample data for student 123456. Need to show Old and New values... In the first row, old is the Kindergarden column and new is the Elementary column. Need to show all old/new values per student for Grade Change and Location Chg "Change Actions" for a specific period of time.

Sample data:

01/01/2011 123456 Grade Change KINDERGARDEN ELEMENTARY
07/01/2011 123456 Grade Change ELEMENTARY Middle Sch
01/01/2012 123456 Grade Change Middle Sch High School_1
03/01/2012 123456 Location Chg High School_1 High School_2

I have another report that looks at this type of thing but only looking at a week at a time therefore no one student will make multiple changes in a week. This report is looking at 3 years of data minimally. In my other report I had a running sequence number that looked for a sequence of 1 for new values and a sequence of 2 for old values. Unfortunately, I now will have more sequence numbers and need an old/new value for every row.

Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!

FireGeek
(currently using Crystal Reports XI with Lawson 9.01)

If you group by Student, then you can use the Previous command to note whatever has changed. Have a Running Total so that you know which is the first line in a group. Put tests in Formula Fields, e.g.
Code:
If @RunningTotal > 1 
and
{School} <> Previous({School})
then {School}
else ""
Have another Formula field that displays them all, and a test to suppress the detail line if nothing has changed after the first line.

Regarding the running total, if you're not already familiar with Crystal's automated totals, see FAQ767-6524.

PS It's best to use the header to say what the problem is, not just that you have one.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 2008 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

Madawc,

Thank you for the help! It did lead us down the right path.

Sorry about the subject line. I wrote the thread message before the subject line. When done, I hit submit - too late to change/edit it.

FireGeek

FireGeek
(currently using Crystal Reports XI with Lawson 9.01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back