Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I think I deleted a couple of things in Regedit that i shouldn't have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejohn12

Technical User
Feb 28, 2003
US
I was trying to get rid of Gator and I deleted a couple of things with GMT on it. I not sure if it caused the problem. My problem is that my IE takes almost 5 mins to load. I am using Netscape to get this message to you.
Could this be the problem or maybe it is something else. Now I have reinstalled IE to no avail. I hope you can help me with this as i prefere IE to Netscape.
Thanks
John
Blueangel372@attbi.com

How long ago did this happen? System Restore might be the best approach.

Ejohn12, I agree with Smah about system restore, but thought you would like to know, I just searched my registry (Home edition SP1) for GMT and the only references were to time (Greenwich Mean Time) and mgmt (management). I have never used Gator.

This might be of some help...

293907 - How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6
... x, you must uninstall Internet Explorer 6, install Internet Explorer 4.01 SP2 with
the Windows Desktop Update component, and then reinstall Internet Explorer 6 ...
support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293907 - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

243678 - How to Manually Uninstall Internet Explorer 5 for ...
... installed before installing Internet Explorer 5, you must reinstall it. If you do
not want Active Desktop, install it during Setup, and then uninstall it after ...
support.microsoft.com/?kbid=243678 - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

In the future use ad-aware to remove gator/bonzaibuddy/any shareware you acumulate on your pc. just do a google search, and you should find it. Works great and is free.

I second the message on the Ad-Aware. Good tool. Gator & others are like vermin and lice that constantly infect my machines. I put Ad-Aware on every machine now.

---
dino

Regarding the System restore -- If you can do a clean uninstall & reinstall of IE, I don't see why the problem should be the registry.

But this is exactly why you should back up your registry before you make changes.

---
dino

press F8 when starting the pc & select "last good known "
and u r problem will be ok
GMt is not a problem, you can remove it and it will not effect the system

Another good spyware remover is Spybot Search and Destroy. I use both Ad-Aware and Spybot because each one picks up things the other misses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back