Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I think ClamXav is causing conflict with Netfxupdate on shut down 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pippinlady

Technical User
Jan 31, 2005
GB
When I reboot my Compaq laptop then need to standy, hibernate or shutdown I get error message NETFXUPDATE.exe stopped the shutdown
I go into processes and delete that entry which then allows me to shut down.
BUT it is irritating me to have to do that each time.
so some questions. Do I need Netfxupdate?
If not how do I remove it completely?
Step by step instructions please as use Mac most of the time so my knowledge of Windows is limited or somewhere in the dark depths of my memory.

If I do need it how can I fix it so this stops happening?

Once I have deleted that process I can hibernate or standby without problems until I next re-boot completely.

I read on another site, that some AV's cause this problem but no-one had a fix for CLam.
Best regards
[flowerface]

Compaq laptop Win XP HE 2002 SVP 3
1.79 Ghz 1.12GB RAM AMD Turion 64 Mobile Techn ML-32
XP Wireless connection thru Airport Express
Forgive my mistakes it's how I learn!

I've used Clam so seldom that I don't know for sure on this, but is there not a way to add exceptions to Clam AV, so that it'll leave the problematic file or process alone? I'd want to see if that fixes the issue.

As far as the specific file, according to references from here:

and here (which references the above link), it appears to be a valid file, part of the .net structure, at least since SP2:

Thank you for your thoughts on this.
I am not worried about it being a valid file... AS I am guessing it is a true M$ file, Though there have been suggestions elsewhere that it was a trojan.
BUT I will look to see if I can add an exception.... to my CLamAV
Do you think that is what is causing it. I mean is it being seen as a Trojan by Clam?
I didn't think that was the problem.

I don't get any reports of nasties.
Just that the Netfxupdate will not allow me to shutdown.

What I read on another site ( http:// annoyances. org/ exec/forum/ winxp/1184645648

spaces added as I am not sure of protocol on adding links here.

suggested that other AV software was a problem with this particular .exe file.

Appreciate any other ideas.
Thanks
[flowerface]

How long have you had this issue? Can you think of a time prior to having the issue? If so, it might be worth your time using Windows System Restore. It will not affect any of your personal files, but it will affect anything like installed programs or such changes since that date.

Then you could disable your antivirus while you run some updates, and see if the problem comes back. Also, if you have a 3rd party firewall (not Windows built-in firewall), then I'd suggest turning it off during the update process as well.

And if all that doesn't work, maybe try a different AV.

These are my personal favorites right now: Microsoft Security Essentials - if you just want something to work without a lot of fuss (it's also one of the highest rated products out there as far as catching the baddies). Also Avira Antivir Free/Home Edition. It's possibly the strongest, though MSSE seems to have really caught up.

Other popular ones are AVG and Avast! - both free.

Links:
MS Security Essentials[/LINK]

[url=http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html]Avira Antivir

AVG Antivirus Free Edition[/LINK]

[url=http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=mncol]Avast! Free Antivirus

HI Kiv1611.
Well avira was another AV that caused the same problem, see that link I posted.
MAybe I have MSSE on there as well. maybe that is what is causing a conflict.
I will check them out as I mainly use that laptop for Serif software which I like for my card crafting design work. I don't use it every day.
But as I often need to go online I want an AV prog.
I used to have AVG. so thinking it might be due to the swap to the CLAM AV BUT I do like that one in comparison.
Will look at it all later.
Thank you for responding

Best regards
[Flowerface]

Well avira was another AV that caused the same problem
the date that those articles refer to was 3 years ago!!! so it can not be compared to today...

suggestion:

Turn off said Service or set it to Manual... it is not detrimental to the operation of the laptop, I never had it running on any of my PC's, as I do full updates once a month, which would include any .NET Frameworks... BTW. it is an old version, and most programs today use 2.0 and above anyways...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Oh Thank you. I must admit I didn't look at the dates. That was rather remiss of me, sorry.
BUT now more questions.
If I turn it off what effect would it have on my laptop. I mean would it not find new updates automatically.
What exactly is it updating?
Please can you tell me how to turn off the netfxupdate. or set it to manual.That should then fix that problem.

Thanks
[flowerface]

Good questions, and rightly to do so. From my understanding, it is part of .NET Framwork v1.1.x, and is supposed to update components thereof...

If I turn it off what effect would it have on my laptop
None

I mean would it not find new updates automatically.
it would no longer attempt to update the old .NET Framework files...

What exactly is it updating?
See above...

Please can you tell me how to turn off the netfxupdate. or set it to manual.After doing a bit more research on the file, it does not seem to be a SERVICE, so setting it to MANUAL will not be possible... but it can be stopped...
Download HiJackThis, from the TrendMicro website (see link below), run a scan with LOG and past the LOG here, I will then tell you how to disable the bugger, and anything else that may be detrimental...

Ben

Hi I eventually got time to do the Hijackthis element of your help.
NOW do you want me to actually paste the log file within this space or add it as an attachment?
If the latter please explain how.
I have it saved as hijackthis.log100826.txt - notepad.
Thanks so much.
[flowerface]

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 19:09:44, on 26/08/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Google\Update\1.2.183.23\GoogleCrashHandler.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\ShirleyDavid\Desktop\Software installs\ClamAV for Windows\1.0.26\agent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\netfxupdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\ShirleyDavid\Desktop\Software installs\ClamAV for Windows\1.0.26\iptray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.4.4525.1752\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_B7C5AC242193BB3E.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {E15A8DC0-8516-42A1-81EA-DC94EC1ACF10} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Windows Live Toolbar - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSSE] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Immunet Protect] "C:\Documents and Settings\ShirleyDavid\Desktop\Software installs\ClamAV for Windows\1.0.26\iptray.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hp.com
O16 - DPF: {14C1B87C-3342-445F-9B5E-365FF330A3AC} (Hewlett-Packard Online Support Services) - O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c9acc8d93f340d) (gupdate1c9acc8d93f340d) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: ClamAV for Windows (ImmunetProtect) - Immunet Corporation - C:\Documents and Settings\ShirleyDavid\Desktop\Software installs\ClamAV for Windows\1.0.26\agent.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe

--
End of file - 9046 bytes

Hope that is readable.
Thanks
Ben

Ok, seems that the problem file is not starting the usual start ramps in XP...

enter SAFE MODE (with Admin privileges) then navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\ and rename netfxupdate.exe to netfxupdate.old... if XP nags you about a Changed Windows Systemfile, then accept the change (and thus keeping the file changed)...

reboot into Normal Mode, then go to and download .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0, install it (if you don't already have it) and update it afterwards through MS Update ...

now for some other minor problems I see in the LOG (no major problems to be seen):

Update your JAVA to the latest version (Version 6 Update 21)

Question: why do you have ClamAV starting from your Desktop?

Fix the following using HJT:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - (no file)

Ben

a couple of questions

1: Within the V1.1.4322
I can't find the ntfxupdate .exe file I only see a ntfxupdate file
Windows would not change the name.probably because it was NOT the .exe file. So where can it be.
I searched through all the framework folders.

I have 5 folders in Framework
numbered
v1.0.3705
v1.1.4322
v2.0.50727
v3.0
v3.5

NONE of those except the one we are dealing with has any netfxupdate file of any type in them.

Does an icon for a file tell me what sort it is.

2: What is HJT, where do I find it?

Sorry I don't often get into the basics of these machines AS long as software works I leave well alone.
:)

Clam XV running from Desktop??
I know not. Where should I be running it from and how do I get it there?

Enough for now I think.
Can't do anything more until I can find that netfxupdate.exe file.
Will do a search whilst waiting your very helpful replies.

Please one thing
Write it in toddler steps like the HJT I have no idea what is.

SO spell things out for me please.
You don't know how grateful I am to you for your assistance in this.
If you lived nearby I would def buy you a drink :)

I am trying to give you more stars but they don't show up :-( can I only post one per reply?

To answer some of the Questions....

1. Within the V1.1.4322 folder, the ntfxupdate file, is the file that I am referring to. Probably you do not have the FILE EXTENSIONS showing (default in XP), so here is the way to get them to show:

How do I show file extensions in Windows?

2. HJT - refers to HiJackThis, the software you used to make the log...

Clam XV running from Desktop??
I know not. Where should I be running it from and how do I get it there?
it is just an unusual place to have any software running... usually they are either run from a subfolder under the PROGRAM FILES folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\ClamAV), or on a separate partition (e.g. D:\Programs\ClamAV)...

no worry, it is just UNUSUAL...

I am trying to give you more stars but they don't show up sad can I only post one per reply?
Don't worry, yes there is only one Vote per Poster... but I am not in it for the stars, ;-)...

I, like many here on the Forums, like to help people...

keep us posted on your progress...

Ben

OK sorry we are not there yet.
I carried the netfxupdate.exe change to .OLD.
For some reason certain files had their extensions hidden.
I always like to see extensions so thank you for the instructions on that. :)
I rebooted, then went to the link to download v2 BUT on attempting installation I get an error message that it cannot install as there is a conflict (I forget the actual words). with a previous version installed.

If you look at my Framework list

I have 5 folders in Framework
numbered
v1.0.3705
v1.1.4322
v2.0.50727
v3.0

there is a Version 2 of sorts.
Is this what can be causing the problem?
I have tried reading the support section

BUT it is gobbledegook to me.. Sorry not quite tech savvy enough for making head or tails of that.
;-)

more advice needed please.
I am determined to fix this.

thank you.
[flowerface]

I rebooted, then went to the link to download v2 BUT on attempting installation
Sorry I forgot to re-mention in the last post, that that step can be forgone/skipped... though I did mention it in the first post, to install it "(if you don't already have it)" ...

so in other words: no need to install the older version...

so instead run the Microsoft Updater... install the updates that are missing...

Question: how is the laptop behaving now, can you enter StandBy, Hibernate or ShutDown without that irking message?

Ben

Wa HAY!!!!!
Yes it can standby now. no problem.[2thumbsup]
And you did mention that bit "If I needed to" but you didn't say I already had it in the framework folders I outlined So I thought that was something else.
OK off to get updates now.

Should be able to do that,
Can I just use the last update service pack or do I have to install all previous ones first.
I know with XP updates installing the latest service pack usually covers everything if none of the interim ones have been carried out.

Oh can I do the HJT actions prior to the update?
Or should I do that last?

Thank you Ben.
[flowerface]

about the updates, just run the Windows Update, you are already on SP3, so you do not need to go down that road...

as to the HiJackThis LOG:

You can delete the following, using HiJackThis, it is not necessary and will restart if/when MS detects an error:

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')

as to cleaning the Registry, I found that CCleaner does a good job of that, as well as cleaning the PC of unwanted junk (old log files, etc.)...

CCleaner -
now, since you are curious, I live approximately 850 km away from you, cross the channel, to cut it short, I live in Stuttgart Germany...

PS: rereading the HJT log, the Service I was talking about earlier, decided to show itself...

O23 - Service: Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1.4322 Update (NetFxUpdate_v1.1.4322) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\netfxupdate.exe (file missing)

you can ignore it or use Autoruns by Sysinternals (now Microsoft) to DELETE that SERVICE (and that Service alone, deleting anythinge else is dangerous):

Autoruns

Download it, extract the ZIP, run AUTORUNS, then NAVIGATE to the SERVICES TAB, look for the service and right click it and DELETE...

after that is done, close AUTORUNS, and tuck it away somewhere for future use... ;)

Here is a picture reference:
10dd16a.png

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back