Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I switched casing and my pc is not working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbeenie

Technical User
Jun 20, 2002
US
I just bought a new casing and switched everything over. I have an Asus Mew-am board. Everything seems to be connected right. Only thing different is that I changed to a 400 watt from a 300 watt powersupply. Thats not the problem b/c I tried it with the 300 watt. My pc is booting up but my monitor is just blank. No beeps. Sounds like post is not working. Double checked all the connections, everything is connected right. I disconnected everything and just booted up with the primary hd, and everything came up. So I shut down and connected everything back up. And everything worked fine. I got an error my system time is wrong in bios. So I restarted and bam my screen is blank. And now my monitor will not come on. Tried a different monitor, but same problem. Did my CMOS batter die? Can anyone think of what the heck is going on. lol Or did I just fry my mother board. lol

Regards,
Bryan

Ok now I took out the cmos battery, and just hooked up my 2 hard drives. No beep but my bios came up. Said my system clock was wrong, and it was defaulting to my normal settings. I rebooted and hooked up my dvd and cd player. Now im back at square one again. No video or no beeps. So I shut back down, disconnect the cd and dvd once again, still same problem.

And yes I used a static wrist band while doing all this so no ESD damage. hehe :)

Im so lost. lmao

Hi there, make sure (like SYAR says) to set the date and time... then replace or try another IDE ribbon cable...

Ben

Me, I would re-check and re-check everything again.

Like ben said, try replacing your hd ribbon cables, specifically the ones used to hook up your optical drives.

Check and make sure that your jumpers didnt fall off or something. And make sure that your boot drive is plugged into IDE1. If its a pentium, make sure to check the 4-prong p/s to m/b connector. (this is in addition to the big m/b connector).

I would even go so far as to try and swap out your ram and see if that might be the problem. I have seen some really really wierd things that were bad or unseated ram as the problem.

Just be sure to make sure everything is seated properly....pci cards, agp video, ide cables, jumpers, ram, fan connectors, power connectors, ect.

Robert Carpenter
--------------------
"Isn't it funny how you are perfectly content with being alone until nobody else is?"
--------------------
robert@convertingchaos.com
convertingchaos.com

Thanks for all your help. Problem is solved. Finally figured out it was the mobo ground. There is only one ground for this mobo. Not 8 hehe. Weird, b/c all screw holes have grounding pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back