Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I screwed up my IP Route - can I correct it via the Linux Console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerdood

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2023
US
I've been fighting a change to Gmail for our Voicemail Pro server, and I Thought part of the problem might be an incorrect IP route based on an FAQ I found here. I changed the IP route which immediately broke my connection to the server.

I tried changing my management machine to be in the same subnet, but I still can't reach the server. Phones are still working, but I can't use Manager to change the route back. Is there a way to correct the route using the Linux console directly on the IP office server?

I was able to get it corrected with the basic linux commands, thanks. I compared to my secondary server and just made the routes match. After doing that, the unit was able to be seen in IPO Manager, but the configuration still showed the route that caused the problem, so I returned that to what it was originally and resaved the configuration to make sure I didn't break it later on down the road.

Now to go back to figuring out why I can't get Voicemail Pro to send out through Google's open SMTP relay.

when in doubt check the easy stuff twice

Make sure that the relay server name is not misspelled and your DNS knows how to resolve it.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

I feel that either DNS or the routing outbound are the issue. The phone system sits on a different VLAN than the DNS, but it should be able to do lookups. What I'm not sure of is the routing to get out to the internet. We have a traditional PRI, so as far as I know our phone system does not otherwise contact the internet (except maybe for NTP?). The current SMTP relay is an internal server defined by IP address, and I'm trying to change it to aspmx.l.google.com

you can always use the IP address

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM was 172.253.122.26 from my location at least

if that one doesn't work for you then you can always try the direct approach and use one of these
ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM - 209.85.202.26
ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM - 64.233.184.27
ALT3.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM - 142.250.27.27
ALT4.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM - 142.250.153.26

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Therein lies the problem... aspmx.l.google.com for me resolves to 142.251.111.27, so they're not using just a single IP.

you should be able to use any of their IP addresses but probably should use your local one. I am quite a bit further north than you and for testing if the DNS is the issue that should do.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

I would enable logging and look through that, it will tell you a whole lot more. Post here if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back