Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I really meesed up Exchange...help me fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherryamore

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2002
US
We just got DSL with a router. Before that I just had exchange working for external email and in workstations Outlook I just had it setup for Exchange and POP so everyone could still send and receive external email. Once I got the DSL I called the ISP and asked them to delete the individual mailboxes and setup one that I will pull all email from. I then set up an SMTP connector in exchange by using the Internet connection wizard. After that I could no longer send internal mail and could only receive external email but could not send. :-( When I couldn't figure it out I had the ISP re-setup the mailboxes and tried get the confirguration back to where it was. I have been unsuccessful and am deseprate to get it fixed today.

I have 10 users...most on Win 2000 workstations, a SBS 2000, a hub and a router for the DSL.

I had help on setting up the server and I am assuming that the guy who helped me setup the MX records...but I have no idea of even where I go to do that. And I don't know if port 25 is open or not or where to go to open it.

Do I need to setup an SMTP connector? Should I choose DNS or the other option when setting up the SMTP connector (i'm assuming since I had internal email working that there is a DNS setup)?

I have never had any experience with exchange and setting up email in a server before. I am doing this to help my boss and also to learn.:)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I'm not exactly clear on what you want to do. Do you have your own domain name like mycompany.com? Are you trying to make exchange work with this? If so, your ISP may very well be blocking port 25 for everyone's domain except theirs.

Who is your isp and I might be able to tell you if this is the case.

My ISP is Bircmore Communications in Orlando Florida and I've been working with them on this and they know what I am doing so I doubt that they are the cause.

I have a domain atlasmc.com and they are hosting our email. I need to have exchange working for sending / receiving internal emails...which was working until I tried to setup an SMTP connector.

Also I have to be able to send out email through SMTP.

1. I have the proper ports open
2. I created the MX Record
3. I have setup the SMTP connector
4. I have setup the POP3 Connector

When I try to send our receive external or internal emails they come back undeliverable.

Thanks

My suggestions:

1. Make sure the local machine is the bridgehead server in your SMTP settings

2. Make sure that when you configured the Address Space, you set your Email Domains to *, and allowed all domains to forward

Hope it helps

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back