Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I posted this inside another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rearview

MIS
May 28, 2002
US
I posted this inside another thread, but I think it deserves its own. :)

I have 3 Windows 2000 terminal servers running Citrix Metaframe 1.8. About once a day, sometimes more often, sometimes less often (seemingly at random), a server will stop auto-creating printers for clients when they log in (I also cannot add a printer manually at these times). If I restart the print spooler service, all is well again (after the users log off and back on, so their printers are auto-created again). I need this to stop. I spend too much time during the day dealing with "I cannot print through Citrix" complaints. Thanks,

Sounds like the print spooler is the culprit. There are two things you can do...one is a script that will check the services and if the spoolerservice is down, it'll restart it, otherwise, I would check to see what types of printer drivers are on your clients as it is 98% probable that it's a bad driver...one that isn't compatible with terminal services, therefore, not compatible with MF1.8

Would this be a driver on the terminal servers that is causing the print spooler to screw up? I have over 100 users connecting to the servers from about 10 different locations (Some of them 40 miles away) and I REALLY don't want to go trace down drivers at client PCs one by one... I didn't think the user's drivers mattered, as long as they wre matched to a driver on the servers. Should I look for a driver on the termianl servers that is the culprit? How might I go about doing this?

one thing you could do is do a search on the internet for wtsuprn.inf file...check on citrix' or the thin.net websites...if you get the *.txt file and open it, it'll list like 500 printers and what the terminal server should use to substitute...you should rename your original wtsuprn.inf file and copy the new one into it. That should save you a lot of time to not have to "track" down.

As a rule, I generally use HP Laserjet III or 4 since most printers work with those drivers and they don't screw up the spooler...you may want to check on users that start a print job, then disconnect...that can screw stuff up...

If you know what type of printing they do it would help...also if they really need printing at all...might be easier to tell them to just email the doc to themselves, copy it to a local drive and print from there...it'd be quicker for them too.

We run one published application. The users just get this one app when they connect. It is a clinical databse and they need to be able to print from it.

Another strange discovery...

I've noticed now that when I try to add one of my installed printers on the terminal server (an HP 1200N for example) its not letting me do it. If I restart the print spooler it will let me do it. But I CAN install a Laserjet 5 or 4 right now and it lets me. This is strange. I know I can print to the 1200s using the 1200 driver sometimes, and occasionally those drivers stop working (like now) but I can still print to and create others. Any explination?

Also, can someone tle me what "included" driver to use for an HP 1200? Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back