Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O shields

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigey

Technical User
Apr 18, 2002
GB
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy an I/O shield for my case in the UK??

I've just bought a new motherboard and the ports/connectors are layed out in a different way to my previos motherboard. Because of this the new board wont fit in the case without a new I/O shield.

I dont know the type of shield I need, just the layout, which is ps/2, serial, serial, optical, 2 mic ports(vertical), 3 mic ports(vertical) and a USB port. The board is an abit KD7 Raid if that helps.

Thanks for the help.

Even links to places in the USA, would be apreciated, providing there are pics, so that I get the right one. Thanks

You probobally have an old style AT case and you need an ATX style case, I know it appears as if its only the back thats different but its not. The ATX case has a different power suppy to your old case (power management). And I would suggest If you have a new motherboard it will probally need the correct power supply to operate correctly. I would suggest you buy a new case, some nice cheap ones out there and you get a new power supply too :)

Hope this helps

John If your unsure....Dont do it!

Thanks for the advice, but I have an ATX Chieftec Full tower case, My previous boards fitted fine, it's just the board has a completely different layout to the current i/o shield that I have. Any other suggestions??

I'm really surprised that one didn't come with the board, as they usually include one in the box.
The inclusion of the S/PDIF connector (the two hole set) makes it a very unusual backplane and i think the only places you'd be able to get one would be from where ever you bought the board (seeing s it should have been included, as I said) or from Abit itself.

If the existing backplate has a foam pad on the
inner side,peel it off and see if there is "knock outs".

Or simply remove the backplate.

Use aluminum foil to "impress" the locations of the ports/connections...take that to a local sheet-metal shop and they'll fix you up with something you can then screw onto the case. 1st tape it in place...then use a block of wood to make the impression. Just press, don't hammer, and do it carefully and you'll get a good pattern. At the same time, outline the shape (overall) that's gonna define your plate.
Actually, if you know anyone in the trade, they could do it, no problem.

Thanks MaineGeek, I've already removed the back-plate, but being the perfectionist that I am, The system would look much better if it had the correct plate. I checked the old one as you suggested, but there were no knockout's to knockout.

gargouille, Thanks for the advice, but it seems to be a very troublesome solution to something that should be simple.

I have checked various web sites with reviews for the board and they show that the board does come with a backplate. I've had to send the board back to the comapany that I bought it from as the southbridge was overheating as soon as the pc was turned on, and thanks to thermal protection on the board the system imediately shut down after 2 seconds. The board is going to be replaced, and i have been told (by the customer services dept of the place i bought the board from), that I should have the I/O shield included in the box.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yes they definitely look much better with the plate.
I'm sure it probably adds extra stress on the ports with out
the additional support from the plate.

Quite few years ago I slapped an old AT together out of used parts, I had all the parts that I needed except for the case. You wanna talk about an "eye sore". It took up my whole bench. Duct tape to hold cables to the bench and fishing line under the PCI and ISA slots and then tied at the tops. It was for my wife. Needless to say, she wasn't
impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back