Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJEshop

Technical User
Sep 17, 2003
US
just how important is this thing..?
i accuired a new RaidMax ATX case and upon installing my Intell MoBo in the new case the mobo mount board would not fit, so i had to install the MoBo alone in the new case.
the problem is that the new case didnt have the proper cut outs for the MoBo.. (not enought slots for the USB ports).
after mounting my Intel MoBo in the RaidMax case it left me without the I/O Shield.

ive pulled out the mesh looking shield thing and stuck it over the attaching ports for the serial mouse/keyboard but my question is .. What purpose does it serve ?

The I/O shield is to keep static discharge and dust out, and RFI and cooling air inside. Also, to provide a place for labels for the plugs. Your computer would be a lot better off with one than without. You should be able to get the right one from Intel. Check their website, or contact an Intel Product Dealer.

The backplate is mainly just to keep what's outside the case outside, not having one is not going to affect the usability. You should replace it if you can, but don't go nuts if you can't get a replacement.

If the motherboard uses a standard atx backplate, then you can find them in on-line stores, how about this one I found off google:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back