Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O Magic GigaBank™ 320GB External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantzLitho

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
US
I have a I/O Magic GigaBank™ 320GB External Hard Drive on my Mac G4 Running Sysyem 10.3.9. I can mount it but can not write to it? I can not even format it with Disk Utility because it says "READ ONLY"? When I get information it says "ownership permissions" - You Can Read Only?

Does anyone know how I can format this to get it to work for me?

Thank You!

I would call tech support at I/O Magic, I looked on their website and found nothing useful! No manuals, drivers - NOTHING!

....JIM....

Have you tried re-partitioning the drive?

I suspect the "READ ONLY" is because Macs won't write to NTFS partitions and these drives are apparently "windows only".

Have you looked at Get Info/ownership and permissions to see what that says next to "you can"?

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Have you tried Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility

fix permissions?

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

Might it be formatted as NTFS? If so, you need to attach it to something else (windeze box) and reformat as FAT32. You'll need an add-on to that though, as XP won't format that size in one partition.

(or I could be barking up the wrong tree)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back