Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O Errors 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovejoy

Programmer
Dec 12, 2000
US
Anyone know what causes I/O errors. I've been working on a large catalog, and have gotten the error several times. When the error happens, the file gets corrupted, you cannot save it under another name because the structure gets damaged, and eventually, quark shuts down.

I would suggest that you try the thumbnail drag in this case. Create another document with the same dimensions and view both the documents in the Thumbnail view side by side and drag the 1st documents pages into the 2nd document. To select all the pages of the document select the first page and then press shift on your keyboard and then select the last page of the document and then drag them into the new document and save it.

**[deejay]**

dear lovejoy,
the most likely cause of io error is a damaged document or bad hard disk sectors.try the solution given by mrtechno or also try to save the document to some other location.Auto save option is very helpful in such kind of situations.

*3.32 allows two users to access the same file simultaneously. If they try to save then they got the I/O error -36.

*Asante, makers of NetDoubler,has verified a bug affecting QuarkXPress 4.x and NetDoubler 1.5.1 (Mac). This bug causes a modification to files saved over a network that makes them unable to be reopened. The user will get a -36 I/O disk error or -108 Out of Memory error when attempting to reopen the file. But this is not officially been treated by Quark...why??

*According to Koyosha Graphics, the following are the current issues with the Enhance Preview XT:
1) When enhancing my images, the progress bar only goes halfway and the following error message is displayed: “I/O error trying to read or write to disk (-36).”
Workaround: Delete the XTension or go for an update at their website.

*Saving to NT server with Hybinette (Mac TCP/IP services) software installed causes crash and is also related to I/O.

Hope these help you.
EL236

~*The Art of Communication*~

I read this thread because my coworker's large catalog is also getting "I/O error trying to read or write to disk" errors -- but his file won't open so the thumbnail solution isn't an option.

I've tried getting the latest Preview extension with no luck. It's crashing FlightCheck and won't open in 4.11 or 5.0. The Markztools folks said that it would recover some corrupt files, but they weren't familiar with this particular error -- simply that I'd have to buy the $200 extension and "try it."

Any suggestions? The client is expecting this file this week and of course* Murphy's law made our backup system fail on Thursday so we have no other copy other than the apparently corrupt file.

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar problem with a user experiencing an "i/o error when trying to read or write to disk [-36]." She saved the file last night to her C drive with no error generation in the process.

By the time anyone can help us, she'll probably have re-created her file but I wanted to post another instance of the problem.

We are running version 5.0.

Thank you.

I have had the error a couple of times with 5.0 and unable to open the files, I have found no solution and whenever i do get the error i hae to resort to recreating my work, this is the reason why i now work with small files no more than 50 pages so as to minimize the amount of work i have to do when this problem occurs. Good luck to you on the long hours overtime you may need to put in.

I haven't any sucess trying to prevent this problem. I did notice that when I save to my C drive it doesn't seem to happen. (Most of my files are on the netork drive)

Also, I've encountered this with small files, only a few pages, as well as pages over 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back