Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaTrooper

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
I am trying to import data from an excel file to a access 2000 db.

I try doing this by: File > Get External Data > Import...
then I get the following error:

An unexpected error occurred: I/O error 6

This error occurs before I can even select the excel file to import.
I have tried doing this with other access 2000 databases and I get the same error.

Any help is much appreciated.
Jim.

It's usually a field formatting issue or bad data on the Excel spreadsheet. Try to copy/paste (make sure not to just select the whole sheet but only the data you want to copy)to a new spreadsheet then import the new spreadsheet. If that doesn't work, you might want to run Text to Columns on each column and make sure the formatting is correct.

Hope this helps.

"If it takes a lot of words to say what you have in mind, give it more thought." ~ Dennis Roch

Macsman,

I don't think the error is because of the excel file formatting.

The problem I am experiencing is that I cant select the excel file I want to import. i.e., after I click Import from the File menu (File > Get External Data > Import...) I receive the error:

An unexpected error occurred: I/O error 6

Thanks for your help.
Jim

Paratrooper,
Sorry, Maybe next time I'll actually read the problem carefully before replying. You might just want to do a Repair on the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back