Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O error 21(The device is not ready.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

latitude800

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2006
US
I am getting the following error message , would anyone experience this before. Thanks in advance. THe L drive is my SAN

I/O error 21(The device is not ready.) detected during read at offset 0x0000000006e000 in file 'L:\MSSQL\Data\WEBIMIS_Data.mdf'.

Connection Broken

Could be one of several things. A bad network connection, a bad disk controller in the SAN, a corrupt .mdf file, a missing path folder, or even bad sectors on your disk.

Do some trouble shooting, like detaching the DB and cut-n-paste the file to another partition or folder. If it complains, get your hardware & network people involved to do the usual troubleshooting tricks to find out where the problem is.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

I wouldn't detach the database from SQL Server. If you do you won't be able to get it reattached.

When does this error come up?

Is the database available or is it marked as suspect?

What happens when you run a DBCC CHECKDB on the database?

Do you have a current backup?

Is your SAN reporting any issues with the LUN or RAID Group?

This usually means that the physical file has been damamged by something.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back