Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O device error when trying to use your CD or DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeWater

Technical User
Jul 3, 2008
CN
When trying to install software using my DVD-Drive, I insert the disk in to the drive and it just spins and does nothing else. I then get an error message:

"Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed."

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

The error message is caused from Windows trying to use a transfer mode that your CD/DVD drive cannot recognize.

A more common error message that is seen when this issue arises is:

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

However, both error messages yield the same solution.

To resolve this issue, you will need to change the transfer mode in your IDE channel properties. Here's how:
Go to Start
Right click My Computer
Select Manage from the resulting menu
In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Identify your CD/DVD drive in the expanded menu and right click the appropriate drive
Select Properties
In the Properties windows, click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box that represents your CD/DVD drive (typically Device 1), open the drop down menu and select PIO Only
Click OK and exit all windows.
If this does not resolve your issue, then you will need to go back using the above procedure and change the Device 1 in step #9 back to "DMA if available". Then, change Device 0 to "PIO Only" in the Transfer Mode box.

Device 0: Primary IDE Channel
Device 1: Secondary IDE Channel

easeusptd

What is the history of both Drive and Machine, has it ever worked? Is this a commercially made media or one that was burnt on your, or another, computer?

Have you tried different media to see if your drive can read a different brand of CD/DVD.

Have you tried the usual workarounds? Are there any further clues in your Event Viewer?

Recordable CD or DVD that contains data appears blank in Windows

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs

Q314096 How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM Drive Problems in Windows XP

Q308012 Resources for Troubleshooting DVD Problems in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back