Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O device error 1.5TB Seagate Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Issues1991

Technical User
Apr 20, 2011
US
at first my external hard drive was working fine besides the lil ticking noising it started making then one night it just compeletly stopped working.

the computer couldnt access at all so i plugged it up to my 32bit laptop witch runs windows vista an in my computer the drive shows up but i click on it it takes forever to load then gives the I/O error i right clicked it an tried to run chkdsk no luck it want work an it wont show up in disk management so i can reformat it

on my win 7 computer it wont even show up in my computer at all so i dont bothering plugging it up i try to fix it on my 32 bit win vista..

at this point i dont care about the data on it if i can recovory fine but right nw i just want to re format the whole drive it self..(i portioned it into 2 parts) any help would be appreciated

I think the clue is on that 'lil ticking noise' you heard. Sounds to me like the noise made by heads failing to load. My guess is that the drive has failed. Is it still under guarantee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back