Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need your help friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkdev

ISP
Aug 2, 2002
IN
Dear Friens,
I want to make my windows 2003 based domain fault tolerent.
Currently i have on domain controller ( windwos 2003 server).I want to make another domain controller as Additional Dc.
All i want to know is , if my dc got crashed , then in that case how do i use my Additional DC ,? do i have to do anything like promote it etc.? please guide me.

regards
dev

You wouldn't have to do a great deal really.
Make both DCs are Global Catalogs then users would still be able to log in if one DC is offline.
Make sure you know which server is holding the FSMO roles, these can be transferred/seized, depending on your situation, to the other DC.

The only thing with having both DCs as global catalogs is this;
when you are running in a multi domain environment, IE you have a forest root and sub domains, you should not have a global catalog on the same server that holds the infrastructure master role.

You can read more about FSMO roles here;

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

Also in 2000/2003 AD, all DCs are of equal status so there are no PDC or BDC roles anymore - the only exception to this is the FSMO roles as porkchopexpress has already supplied links to.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Looks like we were updating that one at the same time porkchopexpress. :)

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

I would also make sure DNS is AD integrated so you have a copy on both servers. I would make the 2nd DC an additional Global Catalog server. I would also setup DCHP and not authorize it on the 2nd DC or split your dhcp scope in half and authorize both servers to issue dhcp leases.

RoadKi11

I find that DNS does not come on Additonal DC by default when u install it.?
How do then client resolve the somain address?

dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back