Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to reset the media descriptor byte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
I have a second hard drive, but windows or dos, says 'Invalid media reading drive D' I used Nortons disk editor to find the media descriptor byte, but I can't find it anywhere (maybe I don't know what to look for), I have tried swapping out the primary C drive with the other drive, booting from a floppy disk, then using 'FDISK /MBR' but that only fixes the master boot record, not the media descriptor byte, there is some data that I want to recover on that hard drive.

I tried changing the system description to 'DOS-16, BGDOS, DOSX, and FAT32', with FAT32 I got some sort of directory listing, but it's scrambled.

Does anyone know how I can change the media descriptor byte? So that I can at least get access to the files, and copy them across to the primary drive.

I believe that at sometime, bootmagic was installed in that drive, because whan I reboot the computer the boot up screen shows that 'Bootmagic can not find files, and will boot from the primary partition.......Press any key to continue', I think that bootmagic has somehow, changed some bytes on the hard drive, which ones?, I haven't a clue.

Sounds like time for file recovery software rather than jiggling how the OS deals with media.

Might I suggest a visit to the data recovery forum if you haven't already been there.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Bootmagic has a tendecy to hide drives, try starting it and unhiding it?

Andy.

There might be a remainder of bootmagic left behind. When I swap drives, it still says 'Invalid Media Reading Drive C.' It seems that the only way I can get the OS to read the drive is to change the descriptor byte manually.

There is some recovery software available. Some free, some pricy. Getdataback comes to mind. You might try a google search for "data recovery" with some success.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

You could try to reinstall Bootmagic then changing the default 'hide' settings.

Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back