Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to parse a number from a string 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DISI

Technical User
Mar 2, 2001
US
Is there a string function to locate a number in an alpha-numeric string. It is typical that I get "dirty" pharamcy data: TBL_RX, field Drug_Name
Prozac 20mg, 30 $27.90
IMIPRAMINE HCL 100 mg 60 $5.75
XALATAN SOL 0.025mg/ml 30 $42.95

*Notice that there is no consistent pattern of spaces or commas in the data

I would like to create the following fields:

Drug Dose Unit Quantity Cost
Prozac 20 mg 30 $27.90
IMIPRAMINE HCL 100 mg 60 $5.75
Xalatan Sol 0.025 mg/ml 30 $42.95

Ideally I want a function to get the position of a numeral or a specific character ie dollar sign.

Thanks for the help

Paul Faculjak
paul@DataIntegritySolutions.com

Try instr(), left(), right() - see Help menu for these functions.

LLKHOUTX, can't say your suggestion was much help. Unless '97 is different from 2000, all InStr gets me in help is a single reference page "Differences in String Functions Operations"

Anyone else out there with some help?

Thanks Paul Faculjak

Split in (In Ms. Access 2K) will return the individual "words" in the string. e.g.

MyVar = Split("Prozac 20mg, 30 $27.90", " ")

yields:

MyVar(0) = "Prozac"
MyVar(1) = "20mg,"
MyVar(3) = "30"
MyVar(3) = "$27.90"

Next, use the InStr Function to seperate the "problem" (20mg) into the numeric (Dose) and text (units) parts

For Idx = 1 to Len(MyVar(1))
MyChr = Mid(MyVar(1), Idx, 1)
If (MyChr >= &quot;0&quot; and MyChr <=&quot;9&quot;) Then
MyVarNum = MyVarNum & MyChr
Else
MyVarChr = MyVarChr & MyChr
Else
Next Idx

Admittedly, this is just a couple of CRUDE snippets, and there is an hour or two of work to set this up propperly and account for the variations but the concepts are to just parse the strings (in a variety of ways) to get te elements you are searching for.

Since I am currently in the 'employment' market, I cannot take time to do the whole soloution - even if I had a more-or-less complete set of trese to grapple w/. but this should be sufficient for you to at least start fraying the nerves.

MichaelRed
redmsp@erols.com

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Michael,

You've thoroughly enlighted me with your response and given me enough to go forth and learn by trying. I didn't know about the &quot;Split&quot; function.

Paul Paul Faculjak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back